We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.27.2013

Roasted Squash Slices

The sun is shining! It is spring-like out there, and I could just walk about forever in this weather.

My lunch with a special mayo bowl inside!
This is a simple way to make butternut squash - no need to peel it because it softens in the cooking and is just fine to eat. It tastes best warm out of the oven, but I brought some in my lunch with some leftover chicken, bacon, and homemade mayo, and it was still good cold. The chicken was leftover from the one I cooked Sunday, and I am telling you - it stayed so moist and tender and delicious! I really am a fan of these Hilltop Pastures Chickens, they are noticeably much better than the Kadejan ones.

Lately I feel confused about all of the terms and identifiers of pasture raised animals. In an effort to really eat only grass-fed and pastured, minimally grain fed animals, I just can't make sense of it all. Kadejan chickens at the co-op are much cheaper than Callister Farms or Hilltop Pastures. I assume that there is more grass eating and more greenery eating/less grains in the latter two due to the difference in taste and moisture, and also the higher price, but again, I don't know!

Last weekend, after a tip from my paleo-eating friend, I learned that you can get half pigs from Pastures a Plenty at the Seward for just over $3 a pound. Woah! Total deal (if you are a member and use your 10% discount). When I compare to Hilltop Pastures, which comes out to about $6 a pound, I assume that the pigs are fed differently. Both are pastured, both appear to eat some grains, neither get antibiotics...they are different kinds of pigs, and Hilltop is smaller and says their pigs are known as a forager of pasture, but I just don't know. $3 a pound is a very good deal, and I like the Pastures a Plenty bacon. I need a round table of all these growers to compare and contrast.

Anyway! All that meandering to get us back to the Roasted Squash. This is so easy - I was low on veggies for lunch today, so stuck these in the oven this morning while I ate breakfast. Super easy.

Roasted Butternut Squash
Butternut squash, cut in half, seeded and sliced in 3/4" thick slices (thinner if you are in a hurry)
Fresh or dried herbs (I had some fresh thyme, marjoram and rosemary - but anything is good)
Fat of choice (I used bacon grease because it was in the pan, but olive oil also works)
Salt

Preheat oven to 350. Toss squash slices with oil/fat (either in a bowl, or in the pan/s you will use). Lay squash in a single layer, sprinkle with herbs and salt. bake for 30-45 minutes depending on thickness of squash slices. Serve!

*For a nice breakfast treat, use the full round slice from the top half of the squash and have it with sausage for breakfast. It looks pretty all stacked up under the egg.


No comments:

Post a Comment