We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.13.2013

Morroccan Preserved Lemons

Meyer lemons are in season right now in places like California. They are sweeter, more orange-y than standard lemons, and are always recommended in fancy lemon desserts. They also seem like a good selection for my first ever attempt at Preserved Lemons.

Preserved lemons are basically pickled in lots of salt, with whatever other spices suit your fancy. I made mine more Moroccan style, but there are lots of ways you could go. My preserved lemons are currently in week two of brining, and after another two weeks they will be ready to eat. You eat the peel and chop it up to put on fish, salads, chicken, veggies, in the previous post's couscous, etc. Apparently you can put it in anything that calls for lemon, and the preserved lemon will be even better. So I hear - this is all just second hand information until mine are ready. Oh the wait!

I based my recipe and directions off of this lovely post by Hunter Angler Gardener Cook (his photos are also way nicer than mine, but so it goes), though modified it to suit my spices. I did not can the jars of lemons (I checked several other preserved lemon recipes and it seems unnecessary) or wash them. I don't know, I'm just not a food washer when I buy it from the co-op. Here is what I did:

1. Slice off ends of each lemon, then slice lengthwise, almost in quarters. You want the lemon to still be in one piece, but almost cut through.
2. Using Kosher, pickling or pure sea salt, stuff the lemon. Pack it in well, and use about a tablespoon per lemon. Mush the lemons into a clean Mason jar. I used a large mouth quart jar and fit 6 meyer lemons, though probably could have smashed a 7th in there. Toss a little more salt on top.
3. Next add in whatever spices you want to use. I went with: Cinnamon (preferably a stick, but I only had powder), peppercorns, bay leaf, cloves (again I only had powder), and cardamom seeds/pods. I debated about putting in some fennel but I think I kept it out. ?
4. "Cover the lemons with vinegar or lemon juice, or not." It seems that many people put some extra lemon juice in there to cover their lemons. I only had a couple of other lemons on hand, so I put in the juice from them and then went for the "mush the lemons until their own juice covers them" method. It took a week or so until the lemons were entirely covered with juice, but nothing seems to have contaminated or otherwise compromised the exposed lemons in the meantime. So, do what you will. After my mushing, the quart jar is now only half full because everything is so squished down in there, releasing all those juices. Put a lid on the jar.
5. Put the jar/s in a dark place for 3-4 weeks. After that they are ready to eat, and they need to be kept in the fridge. They will last at least a year, if not longer.

Once mine are done I will do an addendum to the post about how they taste....to be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment