We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.11.2013

Paleo Cauliflower "Couscous"

I ate this cauliflower couscous on Friday. And then I made it again tonight for dinner. It is SO good, I would have it a 3rd time this week if I had more cauliflower. Yum.

In addition to numerous meals of this couscous, my weekend also included numerous repeats of this song by the Roches. Up until Saturday I had never heard of them, but this dear song has been playing in my head or on my youtube since then (I listened to most of their other songs too)! I am finding them quite entertaining.


This recipe originally comes from the Clothes Make the Girl, though I made some modifications that I think make it even better (plus she uses a microwave and I don't). She is such a genius with the paleo foods - I am excited for her new cookbook coming out very soon.

Cauliflower Couscous
1 small head cauliflower
3 T coconut oil (or part olive oil)
1/2 large onion, chopped small
2 T golden raisins, craisins, chopped dates, etc
2 T chopped almonds, cashews, or pine nuts.
1 t. cumin
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. turmeric
1/2 t. coriander
salt to taste
lemon zest (optional)

1. Heat 2 T of the coconut oil in a large skillet or heavy pot on med heat. Add onions, and saute for 5-8 minutes until translucent (you may need to lower heat a bit).
2. While onions are cooking, prepare the cauliflower. The stalk does not grind well into a couscous, so chop off the florets into somewhat uniform size pieces. You will then pulse/food process the florets in 2-3 batches in the food processor until couscous sized. *This is important, because otherwise you will not get uniform couscous pieces - you will get lots of clumps. So even though it is a pain in the butt, it is worth it! Process in batches!
3. Once onions are translucent and maybe starting to caramelize, add dried fruit, nuts, and spices. Saute another 3-5 minutes, stirring a bit, to get the flavors combined and to really bring out the flavor of the spices.
4. Add the "couscous" to the pan, stirring every so often. Add the last Tablespoon of oil/fat to the pan to keep the cauliflower from burning or getting too dry. Cook for about 8 minutes to make sure cauliflower is tender. Add lemon zest and salt to taste. Serve!


I ate mine with Meatballs with a sprinkle of cilantro and a little melted ghee. OMG it was incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment