We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

8.27.2013

Arugula pistachio pesto

I enjoy pesto in pretty much all incarnations: basil, radish leaves, cilantro, and now arugula. My arugula bolted weeks ago, but I've still been eating it in salads and I generally don't mind the extra spice. I have a lot though, and the pesto seems a nice way to temper the pepper of the arugula, even the already bolted kind. I am not a raw garlic eater so I didn't add any, but go ahead if that is your thing. You could also add romano or pecorino cheese, though I didn't miss them here.


Arugula Pistachio Pesto
3+ cups packed arugula
1/2 c. pistachios
1 tsp salt
1/2 c olive oil

1. Toast pistachios in a 400 degree oven for 5-10 minutes until brown (or on cast iron skillet on the stove top, stirring often). Allow to cool. (You can skip toasting the pistachios, but it adds more flavor depth and is extra tasty when you do.)
2. In a food processor, blend arugula and toasted pistachios. Pulse several times to chop and mince the nuts and greens. Add salt and olive oil and pulse again until a nice paste.


I love pesto on green beans (just steam the beans for a few minutes and than stir in the pesto) and also on eggs with some cherry tomatoes. The pesto would also be good on chicken, sauteed zucchini, a tomato salad - endless possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment