We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

8.14.2013

Herby Pork Breakfast Sausage

I am working my way through some more pork products, namely ground pork - which makes terrific sausage! (I also tried them in a meatball recipe that I'll post soon too.) My herbs are so over-flowingly bountiful right now, that I wanted to use lots of them in my breakfast.

This was a super easy recipe that I found from a blog called Use Real Butter that I modified just slightly. I did put in a little honey in the sausage, but you could very easily leave it out if you don't want added sugar. The sausage mix will last a week or so, or you could freeze it if you don't want to eat all the patties at once. These would be amazing with pancakes, though I have been eating them with lots of veggies with herbs for breakfast, and that is great too.


Herby Breakfast Sausage (makes 8 patties)
1 lb. ground pork
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 tsp honey
1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well-blended. Form patties to desired size (mine were 2-inches in diameter). Place a skillet on medium-low heat and set the patties in the pan. Cook until the bottoms are browned, then flip and continue to cook until the sausage is done (about 10-12 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment