We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

8.20.2013

Berbere Meatballs

I was in a hurry the other morning to make a dinner for work (in addition to lunch, so I was making two meals to go), and decided to just throw together some meatballs. They turned out nice - I love berbere, so it was kind of a no-brainer. Berbere is that delicious Ethiopian spice blend that I used last month in a chicken dish called Doro Wat. It's typically a spicy blend of paprika or chili, cinnamon, cardomom, ginger, and fenugreek, plus a few others. My blend is on the milder side, so if you have a spicier Berbere, you may want to reduce the amount so as not to be too hot. I had some defrosted pork and venison - so I did a combo. But you could use all venison, lamb or beef too.

Berbere Meatballs
1/2 lb pork
1/2 lb venison/beef/lamb
1 t coconut flour
1 1/2 T berbere
1/2 t salt
1/4 c chopped parsley
pepper
1 egg

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, combine thoroughly with hands to get spices mixed evenly. Roll into approximately 1" balls (or a little bigger) and place on rimmed cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

I ate mine with greens (arugula in this case) and onions sauteed in coconut oil with turmeric and coriander. Later I had some of these meatballs with sauteed zucchini, onions, and beet greens with similar spices. These meatballs are very tasty left over or cold. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment