We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.20.2014

Citrus Salad with Fennel Vinaigrette

I saw this salad on the Bon Appetit website and decided I wanted to try it for these sesame clusters that topped the salad. But then when I made the sesame clusters, I opted to use stevia instead of sugar, and that was kind of a disaster. BUT, the dressing was AMAZING. I did use some honey in there - so that was partly it, but the fennel, shallots and ginger tasted brilliant together, especially with some fresh mandarin oranges in the salad too. I just skipped the sesame clusters after attempt one, but you can see them in the photo. If you want to make them, follow Bon appetit's recipe and just use the sugar!

As we slog through the last days of winter, I just want some fresh stuff! I've made a variation on this salad several times in the past month - and my favorite is to stick pretty true to the original recipe. It's a bit fancier than what I would ever make on my own, and though it is simple, the flavors are pretty bold.

Citrus Salad with Fennel Dressing (from Bon Appetit)
cup olive oil 
¼ small fennel bulb, finely chopped, plus ½ cup chopped fronds  
1 small shallot, finely chopped  
2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger 
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed  
¼ cup white wine vinegar  
2 tablespoons honey (or honey/stevia combo)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper  
4 navel oranges, blood oranges, tangerines, and/or grapefruit  
10 cups mixed hardy salad greens (radicchio, frisée, endive, etc; about 1 lb) 
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

This one had less citrus and more dressing!
1. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped fennel, shallot, ginger, and fennel seeds and cook, stirring often, until tender (do not let brown), 8–10 minutes. Mix in vinegar and honey. Let cool; season with salt and pepper.
2. Finely grate 1 tsp. zest from 1 orange; set aside. Using a sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from all oranges; discard. Cut between membranes to release segments into a medium bowl; discard membranes. (This was far too fussy for me. I just peeled the mandarins and put the sections in the salad. I sliced my blood orange and cut off the peel...way easier, but less gorgeous I spose.)
3. Toss greens, parsley, fennel fronds, oranges, and dressing in a large bowl. Serve topped with reserved orange zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment