We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.23.2014

Paleo Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

I am not sure what came over me, but I really wanted to make some lemon tasting muffins this weekend. I've been on a bit of a splurge of gluten free goodies the past week, mostly facilitated by going out to various places for my birthday.

Muffins! Yum! These turned out great - they were light and fluffy - and were simple, with stuff I happened to have around. I want to experiment a bit with this recipe to make grain free lemon pancakes, and top them with blueberries or raspberries.

I followed the original recipe very closely, just reducing the honey and adding a few drops of stevia. I also just made a half batch (with 2 large eggs). My half made 4 muffins, not 6, but I filled the muffin cups fairly full.

Paleo Lemon Poppyseed Muffins (makes 9-12 muffins)
1/2 cup + 1 tbs of coconut flour
5 eggs
1 tbs of vanilla
1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
2 medium sized lemons juiced
1/3 cup honey (or 1/4 c honey plus some stevia)
1/2 tsp of baking soda
Zest from 2 lemons
2 tbs of poppyseeds (you could also use chia seeds if you can not find poppyseeds)
  1. In a large bowl mix together the eggs, vanilla, and lemon juice. Melt the coconut oil and honey together and pour into the egg mixture.  Mix everything together.
  2. In a separate bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.  Slowly stir them into the wet ingredients. The batter will thicken after a minute or two, and will get sort of puffy looking. This is good!
  3. Fill each (greased) muffin tin (or lined muffin pan) with about 1/4 cup of batter
  4. Bake for 22 minutes. Let cool a couple of minutes, and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment