We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.04.2014

Shrimp cocktail

It's March! Spring is not so far away! The 6 foot high snow banks can only last for so much longer. I am optimistic.

I don't know what inspired my having shrimp cocktail this weekend. I think it was that My Charming Companion and I were craving pizza, and wanted to have that with some sort of protein appetizer. So I got some shrimp. But then the evening came and the pizza was too high maintenance (we were going to try a cauliflower crust one), so we made soup instead and had that with the shrimp. (Pizza was on Sunday, but with a coconut flour crust - post forthcoming.)

I don't often crave shrimp, or shrimp cocktail for that matter - but this was sort of a festive diversion from anything I have been eating lately. And, I LOVE horseradish and when do I eat an appetizer for my own dinner? Not so often. Also, you can make your own fish broth with the leftover shrimp shells. Just put the shells in a pot, add some onion/celery scraps, cover with water and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Cocktail Sauce
2 T tomato paste
2 T prepared horseradish*
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp mustard
salt to taste
*I used Bubbies horseradish, which has some sugar in there and is not super hot - you may want to use less if your brand is hotter

Mix all ingredients together - and that's it. You are done. So easy.

Roasted Shrimp
1 lb shrimp, shelled and de-veined
Olive oil
salt and pepper
lemon juice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss shrimp in olive oil, salt and pepper to lightly coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-12 minutes, flipping once in the middle until cooked through (mine were medium sized shrimp and I went 10 minutes). Chill (I stuck the pan on the frigid porch for about 5 minutes and that worked great - 0 degrees is good for flash-chilling!). Sprinkle with lemon juice or serve with lemon wedges, and dip in cocktail sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment