We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

12.30.2019

Cardamom Stew

This is one of my favorite meat recipes - it's from a cookbook not belonging to me. The cookbook was photocopied to begin with, and I have a photo of the recipe, so I cannot cite the cook or source. I'm not even quite sure which country this originated - India I think. I remember the author saying that this is a common recipe made for new mothers (sans cayenne). It is delicious with rice, or roasted cauliflower, or sauteed cabbage or greens. The original recipe calls for lamb, which I have used before and like. More often I use beef chuck roast, which is what I used this time. (I didn't get to take a photo. Will do another time and post later!!)

Cardamom Stew
2 1/4 pounds lamb or beef (I prefer off the bone, but you could do either)
1/2 c plain yogurt (I always use coconut milk)
1 T ground cardamom
1/2 c oil (I use less than that of butter, between 1/4 and 1/3 cups)
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp coriander
3 small tomatoes, finely chopped
salt

1) Mix the cardamom powder with a little water to make a paste.
2) Heat butter in cooking pot; add cardamom paste and pepper. Fry over a low heat 2-3 minutes
3) Add the meat, turmeric, cayenne and coriander and saute for 10 minutes, all the while stirring so that the spices do not burn. *This is important. The recipe author says that this 10 minutes makes the stew, so don't skimp! (I've never tested this, so strong was her admonishment!) It is essential that the heat not be too high and you use enough oil/butter to ensure no burning.
4) Add tomatoes and yogurt/coconut milk and salt. Once it is simmering, lower the heat a bit, cover the pot, and leave to simmer until the meat is tender. I usually go for an hour or two. *The original recipe said to add several cups of water prior to simmering. I have never needed to do this as there is plenty enough liquid from the meat and butter and tomatoes. It would be like soup with all that water, and I always wonder if it was a mistake, or if this is just something I am culturally not understanding about the dish?!

No comments:

Post a Comment