We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

12.24.2019

Niter Kibbeh (Ethiopian spiced butter)

My first encounter with Niter Kibbeh was through making kitfo in 2013. I'd never had kitfo in the world, so I had no idea what this recipe was supposed to be like. When I later ate it in various Ethiopian restaurants, I laughed at my attempt: there was a likeness, but it also was a bit unrecognizable. The main difference is that I made spiced butter but I didn't strain it, or actually complete the process, and instead just mixed in the whole thing with meat. It was still good, but not nearly as smooth or subtle. As I've gotten more familiar with Ethiopian dishes, I see that my kitfo was more like kitfo dulet, which has peppers and onions added in. So, fast forward to more recently: I had not made Niter Kibbeh until now because I kept being gifted it. Now I am out, and it is time to make my own in order to cook Christmas dinner tomorrow!

This butter is necessary for many Ethiopian recipes - without it you miss some key flavor. I use Niter Kibbeh most often now with tibs (recipe forthcoming) and greens, but also with cabbage or eggs. It is needed for shiro (chickepea dish), which is creamy and delicious and I will post sometime. Generally this butter makes any dish better.

There are different recipes for making Niter Kibbeh, but some months ago I bought a butter spice packet from Shega Foods in Minneapolis, which is also where I buy all-teff injera. (Shega Foods is in the old Seward Co-op space, and they also sell Niter Kibbeh if you want to buy some ready made.) I have no idea what is in this spice mix, and I decided to consider that it was all of the dry spices, and to still add onion, garlic and ginger. I also threw in a cinnamon stick, just because. I think I was right, because the final product turned out really well: right coloring, and very nice flavor. Link here for a recipe without the spice mix.

Niter Kibbeh (makes just under a pint)
1 pound butter (no salt)
small onion, chopped
2 T minced garlic cloves
3 T minced ginger
cinnamon stick (opt)
2 T Qibe Materia (Spiced Butter Mix from Shega Foods)

1) Chop butter in pieces and melt on low heat in a heavy saucepan. Add all ingredients.
2) Simmer on low for 60-90 minutes. This process is just the same as making ghee - you are separating out the milk solids, which sink to the bottom or stick to the sides of the pot. You want to be careful to not burn the spices or the bits. They can brown, but not burn - so keep the heat very low!!
3) After the allotted time, turn off heat an let sit for some minutes. Pour through cheese cloth or a fine sieve to remove spices and milk fat bits.
4) Let sit out to cool, and then store in the fridge or freezer. It will last a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment