We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.31.2020

Breakfast rice bowl with Fancy Eggs

I guess I am posting more frequently now because, well, coronavirus. I feel entertained to chronicle these times via some meals. Also, it seems a mostly enjoyable quirk of my personality to menu plan, ration a bit, and see how to eat up everything with the least amount of shopping trips - is at peak utility* in these times! 😂 And since I am reaching the end of some fresh (less long-lived) produce, forthcoming recipes will primarily be composed of cabbage, carrots, beets, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and any remaining stuff in the freezer.

*The time where this skill was was less fun, but also of peak use, was when I was co-caretaking a rustic hideaway (with a few guests) on a remote island in Norway for two weeks and the previous caretaker paid no heed to food going bad or using things up. MANY nights I labored over what needed to be eaten before it went bad without needing to order more food, and thought up new recipes to make with things like a surplus of cod, red peppers, cucumbers and sour cream. It's like I went into survival mode of the pantry (even though it wasn't even my money I was spending!!)


So. Today's breakfast was rice, Japanese-inspired scrambled eggs, avocado, kimchi, and nori. It was SO good, partly because rice is delicious and I don't eat it that often and it felt novel. Also, I hadn't had nori in a long time, but remembered a package that has been in my cupboard for months. Or a year? Nori on these eggs - yum.

This is less a recipe and more a guide or inspiration. Even just rice and these eggs would be good (I saw a recipe for something similar recently in Bon Appetit or Saveur, but now I cannot seem to find it) which is what made me think of making this today.

Fancy Eggs
2-3 eggs
2 tsp rice vinegar
1-2 tsp tamari
pinch of stevia (or 1 tsp sugar or sweet something)
1 T butter for skillet
1 sheet Nori, cut up into strips

1. Mix your ingredients other than butter in a bowl.
2. Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet. When it is melted and hot, pour in your eggs. Allow the eggs to fry in the butter around the edges, and stir gently. I think these are best eaten when they are still soft, and not overly cooked. Salt as needed.
3. Sprinkle nori strips over the top.

Serve atop freshly cooked rice and any sides - I had avocado and kimchi with mine. I also added some spinach to my eggs (I sliced a handful and added it right after pouring in the eggs).

No comments:

Post a Comment