We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

3.14.2020

Teff sourdough pizza

I experimented with my teff sourdough bread recipe to make a pizza crust, and it turned out great. I went for thinner crust, but left a little extra around the edge so that it was still chewy. It held together easily and got crispy, all while keeping a subtle teff flavor. My only adjustment to the bread recipe is that I added more oil and made it drier/more-stiff (ie: added more flour).

I made this pizza to have with friends, though information I understand now clarifies that meals with friends (indeed friends visiting each other's homes) is not enough social distance, so this was the last in-person social time I suspect I will have in awhile. We ate pizza and also did a reading of Jen Silverman's The Moors, and though we read this in the same room, play readings would make an excellent activity to conduct via zoom or your video-chat option of choice; you just need to scan/disseminate scripts ahead of time!


Teff sourdough pizza crust: makes 1 thin 10" pizza crust
1 cup gluten-free sourdough starter
2 Tbsp warm water
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar
1 Tbsp ground chia seeds
1 Tbsp whole psyllium husks
1/2 - 1 cup teff flour (or any combination of whole grain gluten-free flours)
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder (or tapioca flour)

1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place starter in large mixing bowl. Whisk in the liquids and salt (warm water, salt, olive oil, maple syrup/honey).
2) Next, whisk in the ground chia and psyllium husks.
3) Add the flours (Avoid letting the mixture sit more than a minute or two, as the chia and psyllium start bulking the dough up quickly!)
4) Mix them all together with a strong large spoon until dough is thick and dough like/ Unlike the bread recipe, it will not drip off your spoon. 
5) Spread the dough into a circle on a parchment covered cookie sheet. I wet my hands with water and smoothed the "dough" out, pressing gently. The chia seeds make the dough almost gelatinous, it's a different texture, and sticks together pretty well even when pressing quite thin.
6) Pre-bake for about 20-25 minutes. The crust will get nice and firm, and is also pretty flexible. I baked the crusts at different times and for different times - it is quite flexible.
7) Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack if you have one. I had time and so made these crusts early, but you could also just pile on your toppings and then bake right away. I suspect these would be easy to freeze at this stage, but I have not tried that yet.


The best pizza of the evening, I thought, was a pesto, sausage, green pepper, spinach, roasted tomato, olive pizza. Really, it got all of the toppings! When you do your final pizza bake, have high heat (450 degrees) and bake just until your toppings are melty and cooked, 5-10 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment