We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

6.02.2011

Cobb Salad

oh WFDM! I think many of us are busy with the season: putting in raised beds, planting, trying to keep up with spring, finishing school, looking for jobs, etc. Yay for spring changes and growing and green things!

I was craving cobb salad all last week. I actually am not even sure I have ever even HAD cobb salad before, but the idea of it was sounding really good. So I went to Smitten Kitchen, and sure enough she had a "Classic Cobb Salad" recipe that looked to be just what I was imagining. I followed her recipe pretty much exactly, and it is delicious.


A few notes:
1. Prep these items first: Cook the chicken (35 min), boil the eggs, and cook the bacon - I recommend in that order! I used the same water I boiled the eggs in to quickly dunk the tomatoes so I could remove the skin. Everything will need to cool a bit while you make the dressing and prep the lettuces/avocado/cheese.
2. For the chicken: I got some bone/skinless chicken thighs (darker thigh meat is much juicier than breasts), rubbed them in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and baked them at 375 for 35 minutes.
3. I have not had a chance to get to the farmer's market yet, but the co-op has local tomatoes and lettuces in abundance. According to the Seward produce department sign, watercress is out of season though. I found some WI "Upland Cress" that seems similar and is spicy and nice, and arugula would be good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment