We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

6.23.2011

Frisee Salad with Poached Eggs and Bacon (a la Barbette)

Well, it might seem like I only eat salad and eggs lately. And bacon too. Kinda true, but they are all just so dang good!

I had a salad at Barbette sometime ago, and it was basically this salad, although they called the bacon "lardon" - apparently due to its thicker cut. It made for a very tasty brunch meal, so when I happened across a recipe for Frisee Salad with Poached Eggs and Bacon in Saveur a few weeks ago, I thought I'd give it a whirl. It seems like it would make a delicious brunch pre- any of the queer activities happening this weekend for pride. It's green and light, but also meaty and filling. It just feels so gay. Maybe because it is French?

Rather than use "frisee greens" (I really don't know what those are - seems like frizzy micro lettuce from the picture!), I used some of the baby greens from the garden that I was thinning out as the beets and arugula get bigger. Did you know it is a good idea to thin your beets with a scissors? That way you don't destroy any of the fragile roots when you pull up the neighbors that are all squished in there too closely. Also, I learned that a good rule is to thin twice. First to get all the mini plants that are growing right on top of one another (you know, the ones that are basically growing out of the same spot), and then second, when the plants are a little bigger. The second time you want to thin the smaller ones away (think Darwin here...the biggest most luscious plants survive), but make sure that the plants that are left are still sort of touching one another. It turns out plants are happiest when they are with others like them - which I could say is just like all of us.

Anyway, I especially like that the dressing includes some of the bacon fat (it turns out quite tasty), and I love poached eggs. So. Gay. So. Delish. Happy Pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment