We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

10.14.2011

Breakfast Smoothie

I was leary of using raw eggs in drinks...I remember seeing movies where health-nutty people would drink raw eggs before going for their run or something, and it always seemed weird.

But, eggnog is made with raw eggs, and I love that - and yesterday when I was not in the mood for any breakfast prep, but needed something substantial, I took the dive and blended up some raw eggs. My Charming Companion blends up eggs for smoothies all the time, so I think that helped ease any nerves I had about salmonella. And now I am sort of hooked - the addition of eggs makes this drink more filling and super creamy. Well, that and the heavy cream. I have officially switched over to the full fat side of life (more so when I am eating not a lot of carb stuff, which I sometimes do). This drink turns out to be a cross between eggnog, orange julius, and mango lassi.

Breakfast Smoothie
1/2 c. frozen mango (banana or any other frozen fruit)
2 eggs
3 T. apple cider (or juice, OJ would work too)
splash of vanilla
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 c. cream or coconut milk

Blend up the frozen fruit in the blender first, then add everything else but the cream (just to make sure the cream doesn't whip into a frenzy) and blend some more. Add cream and blend for 10 seconds. Drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment