We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

10.07.2011

Deconstructed sweet potato hash with fried eggs

I have a cookbook from the library right now called "Five Ingredient Fix: Easy, Elegant, and Irresistable Recipes" and I had a little extra morning time this week, so I tried this breakfast. It is really simple - sorta seems like you don't need a recipe...but I don't tend to make caramelized onions for breakfast and I never use sage, even though it is growing in my garden. So, I found it inspiring and tasty enough to share. Note, there is a lot of butter in this recipe! I modified this for just me, but here is a recipe for 4:

1/4 pound butter
12 fresh sage leaves
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes (I did not peel!)
1 c. water plus more as needed
2 vidalia or sweet onions, sliced
8 large eggs

Melt 4 T butter in a large skillet on med-high heat. Add 4 sage leafs and fry until crisp (about 30 seconds). Transfer to a plate for later.

Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet and toss until coated in butter, then add remaining sage leaves and water. Simmer and cook the potatoes uncovered, until water is evaporated and potatoes are fork tender (about 10 min). If any excess water, spoon/pour off and reserve. Continue cooking potatoes another 10 minutes or so, scraping frequently until crusty brown. Add 1 T or so of reserved liquid if potatoes stick or scorch.

Meanwhile melt 2 T butter in a med skillet on med heat. Add onions and cook until deep golden brown, about 20 min. Transfer to a serving bowl. Wipe out the pan, add the last 2 T butter and fry the eggs, 2 at a time to your preference.

Plate the potatoes with the caramelized onions beside them, and top with 2 fried eggs and a fried sage leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment