We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

6.06.2012

Cashew Bok Choy

Ooh, I am anxious for the next round of things to come in the garden. I am thinking green beans will be next - which I cannot wait to make some dilly beans with since those were the first pickled thing to go in the fridge last year.

I brought home bok choy this week, which I think I have written about before because I repeatedly overlook it in the store, and then I think it is so tasty when I saute it up. It isn't growing locally yet, so this is a precursor for when it is! The recipe is super simple - the toasted sesame oil is really nice with the toasted cashews, and it uses green onions (which are so good in this early springtime).  The original recipe is linked here on a blog that has grain free (usually paleo) stuff, including lots of desserts (if you are into the grain free dessert eating mayhem).  She says the recipe is also great with kale or spinach (and thus probably also spring's all abundant lamb's quarters).

Cashew Bok ChoyCashew Bok Choy
1 large head Bok Choy
1 T coconut oil
1 3/4 c chopped green onions
3 garlic cloves, minced (I omitted)
1 1/2 T toasted sesame oil
1/2 c. unsalted cashews
Salt to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

1. Put your raw cashews in a cookie sheet and roast in a 450 degree oven for 5-7 minutes. Keep your eye on them so they don't burn!
2. Chop bok choy into 1/2 inch pieces - all of the white and green parts go in.
3. Heat oil in a large pan on med high heat and add onions. Cook for a few minutes (I put in the white part first and then toss in the greens after a minute or two).
4. Add bok choy and cover for another 5-8 minutes until wilted and/or tender to your liking.
5. Remove from heat and drizzle with sesame oil, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add toasted cashews. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment