We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

6.10.2012

Jicama chicken sliders


vietnamese chicken salad
Go to her blog for a GREAT list of paleo picnic foods
I saw these "Jicamadas" on my fave paleo blog and got inspired to try them. One because I love jicama, and two because they just looked fancy and treat-like, which I sometimes miss in the paleo food world. There  tends to be less glamour I think, and this recipe has some. Plus she suggested that these are a little like banh mi sandwiches - you know, but totally different. I agree, in a subtle kind of way. The radishes (which are SO beautiful right now at the store and farmer's market) mix with the carrot, jalepeno and mayo to conjure up some definite banh mi likeness.

My Jicamadas were super tasty - really nice flavor mix with the mint and basil. I found that the small dice of veggies was hard to keep on the jicama, and I thought that next time I'd julienne the veggies rather than dice. I think it will still look festive because of all the great colors, and it will be easier to eat. These would be perfect appetizers for some festive occasion - just make them on smaller pieces of jicama.

*Note that she recommends brining the chicken before you cook it. I did not do that, though I used thighs instead of breast meat. Also, this was my first time poaching meat. It felt strange, and did seem successful in keeping the meat moist. I think you could prepare the chicken any which way though. I sort of like the increased flavor that cooking it under the broiler produces, so I might try that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment