We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

6.19.2012

Iced Coffee!

A week or two ago I read this article in the New York Times about Japanese Ice Drip Coffee versus cold press. Apparently it is a big debate in New York, though it seems that we here in the midwest are a bit behind because I have never heard of this ice drip before. But you know, I only drink decaf, and you really can't get decaf cold press (nor do I want to make such a big batch), so I was excited to try this out as an iced beverage option.
This one is super fancy - but illustrates the idea.
The whole concept is to use 1 oz of coffee beans ground to the consistency of sand with 8oz of ice and 8oz of boiling water. You want to drip the coffee right over the ice so that the coffee chills immediately, sort of sealing in all of the flavor. This is why this method is different than just chilling regular coffee pot coffee.

 My version is less fancy: this over a mug of ice
Anyway - my first attempt turned out delicious. I added some cream and coconut milk to mine, but it would be good on its own too. The video is especially helpful to get the whole idea, especially about slowly pouring the hot water over the grounds.Yum. It's steamy hot out and I am about to go up north for a few days where it will be much cooler, and this was a delightful way to start out this vacation-y morning. It's also easier than cold press, and I like that you can make individual cups. So. Ice drip! Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment