We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.31.2013

Beef Liver....that I actually want to eat

Yes, I have finally found a recipe for beef liver that I enjoy eating.  I tried many versions and finally put together this easy little combo of ingredients.  I was determined to eat, and to like, beef liver because it is so healthy and full of so many wonderful vitamins and nutrients.  Here is a link to an informative page on  Chris Kressor's website about the benefits of eating organ meats.  He even goes over common misconceptions about liver, such as, the notion that it stores toxins.  I didn't think that people actually believed this until last week when I was talking with my Aunt about liver and she expressed this same concern.  It felt really good to be able to share my knowledge about this important food and maybe encourage her to try incorporating it into their diet.  It can be tricky to share food knowledge while not offending the other person, so I don't do it that often.  But when I can and the other person is receptive it is really gratifying.

Anyway, back to the beef liver.  It's a really simple recipe and only takes about 10-15 minutes to prepare.  I usually plan to cook my main dinner in the oven, and once I get it in there and going, I make the liver as a kind of appetizer.
Beef liver with green onions- it's good, I swear

Ingredients:
2-3 ounces beef liver
1 Tbsp butter or ghee
1-2 stalks of green onion
1 Tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 lemon wedge

Directions:
Rinse the liver under the faucet, cut into chunks, squeeze the lemon over the top to marinate for a few minutes, and set aside.  Heat a skillet on medium heat while you chop the green onion and mix the coconut flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper together on a small plate.  Melt the butter in the pan and add the green onion.  Dredge the liver in the flour mixture and add to pan.  Cook on each side for about 2 minutes.  Add butter if necessary.  The liver will get a slight golden crust on them.

The ingredients mask the livery flavor while adding a taste of spring.

Enjoy in good health!

3 comments:

  1. I like the weekly liver postings! I have never tried it with green onions, of which I have in abundance right now, so this will be next up in the liver chronicles....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm preparing it now. I'll let you know how it turns out. I am not a liver fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are trying liver Whitney! Good for you! I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete