We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.31.2013

Coconut Jello

I have been on the hunt for some snack options.  Since I eat a very strict paleo diet, snacking can be a challenge.  I usually have to cook and prepare every single thing that I eat, so when I can concoct a treat that I can just grab out of the fridge and eat, it is an exciting development in my life.  This dish is basically just coconut milk, vanilla extract and gelatin.  If you are able to eat a wider variety of foods you may want to doctor this one up a bit more, but I thought it might be a good idea to share anyhow.

Coconut gelatin on bottom, coconut cream on top
I have gelatin that I ordered through radiantlifecatalog.com.  It is very high quality and has many health benefits, such as it's anti-inflammatory properties.  It can be mixed into broth, soup, sauces, etc and it is great for creating jello out of any liquid.

Ingredients:
1 can Natural Value Coconut Milk: no guar gum and BPA free can liner.  Available at Seward Co-op.
2 Tbsps Gelatin (I like the Bernard Jensen product)
1/2 cup water
dash of vanilla extract

Directions:
Heat the coconut milk and water on the stove top until hot; not necessarily boiling.  Add the vanilla and stir in the gelatin.  Transfer the mixture to a dish and allow it to cool before putting it in the fridge to set up overnight.  The coconut milk will separate into a jello-like layer on the bottom and a thick creamy topping of coconut solids on top.  You can easily mix it back together when eating it though, so it's no big deal.

I think a few drops of stevia would be a nice addition, or some berries.  When my strawberries start coming in I will probably try putting some into this dish.  It will add some color and flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment