We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.21.2013

Garden Asparagus!

Last year the late freeze did a number on the asparagus plants at the northside homestead. The year of rest must have really been nice for the plants because they are taking off like crazy! All this rain and intermittent sun can't hurt either. I'd eaten just a few stalks already, but Monday morning there was a lovely boquet for breakfast (see accompanying Charming Companion photo).

I also learned an asparagus tip: you know how the bottom of the stalk is fibrous and tough, and usually you snap the stalk in half and discard the bottom part? You can also peel the outer part off with a potato peeler, much as you would the tough part of a broccoli stalk. The inner part is very tender and nice. This is a handy trick when you have thicker asparagus so you don't lose so much of it. Some of my stalks were as fat as my thumb, so it was definitely worth the extra peeling.

I steamed the peeled asparagus in a steamer for just 4-5 minutes, squeezed on some lemon juice, sprinkled some salt, and savored them bite by bite. I ate them with a scramble of eggs, green onions and bacon. It was the first meal of spring where all the produce came from the garden - hurray!


Garden report: The peas, arugula and lettuces are looking bright green and lovely, and about an inch or so tall. The radishes are little sprouts peeking up above the soil. Beets, carrots, and starter beds of greens and brussel sprouts are in - though only the green are making themselves visible just yet.  I have grand plans for the weekend: zucchini, herbs, green beans, and I think I am going to take the plunge and plant my tomato and basil starts. It might be too early - but I am feeling hopeful!

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love asparagus and dream of one day growing some of my own. I know it takes a few years to get it going, but it is worth the wait. Those asparagus stalks look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete