We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

12.09.2013

Paleo Quiche

Sometimes I get in the mood to try something a little novel in the grain-free eating realm. This weekend it was quiche, using a coconut flour crust. I find that baking things with coconut flour usually works out well, it just has a slight dryness/density that feels specific to coconut flour (more so than almond flour). Sometimes I get in the mindset that I don't want to have as many nuts because of the omega 6s, so often coconut flour baking is more appealing than nut flour baking. In any case - the quiche turned out well - there was a solid crust that worked perfectly. I think I might prefer an egg bake to paleo quiche because I find the dryness of the crust less appealing. My Charming Companion was loving the crust however, so, if you want crust - this is a good one.

*Incidentally I had a little leftover crust mix and used it to make a mini-ramekin sized pie crust. It looks beautiful! I have not yet had a chance to make a filling for it - but pumpkin custard, chia seed pudding, or apples would be pretty awesome I think.

I followed this recipe for the crust and as a guide for the filling. The ingredients I used were a little more dry (kale, sausage and onions) - and like I said - I want a more moist quiche. So I recommend filling your quiche with oven roasted tomatoes, a green like spinach or arugula, mushrooms &/or red peppers - maybe bacon too. No matter what you use, it will still be good.

Crust (for a 9" pie plate):
1/2 cup coconut oil or ghee, melted
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Preheat oven to 350. Combine eggs and coconut oil until well-blended. Stir in coconut flour and salt and mix until a dough forms. Press dough into the bottom and up the sides, into an even layer. (I used coconut oil and because it was cold in the kitchen, it started to firm up on me. It will still spread, you just have to work the dough a bit more!) Prick dough all over with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside.

For the filling:
5 eggs
1/2 c coconut milk
salt and pepper
1 t mustard/mustard powder
1-2 cups veggies/sausage/bacon (pre-cooked)

1. Saute your quiche filling in a large skillet. Be sure to cook and sausage or bacon thoroughly. Anything would be good in here: broccoli, olives and bacon; mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes; greens and onions with sausage, etc.
2. While the veggies cook, mix together the rest of the ingredients.
3. When veggies/meat are cooked, put them into the crust. Pour the egg mixture over it. Bake the whole thing for about 25 minutes, or until firm in the center. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes so that the eggs "set" and serve!

The ramekin mini-pie crust!

No comments:

Post a Comment