We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

12.13.2013

Pumpkin Custard

I've been eating a lot of orange vegetables lately: carrots, squash, and sweet potatoes. The first two are still from the garden, and the latter is just what I want this time of year. And even though greens sound good, I can't quite bring myself to buy any at the store. It seems silly after spending the past numerous months picking whole armfuls in the backyard. (Incidentally I was able to keep picking it basically up until this last snowstorm. The kale was frozen out there and snapped off the plant when I "picked" it, but cooked up just fine). So - it's me and lots of orange veggies. My feet and hands have not turned orange yet, but I keep checking them to see.

Amidst the orange is this lovely pumpkin custard. I remember a few years ago when my sister was visiting and staying with my dad for several weeks - they seemed to have an epiphany/burst of enthusiasm for pumpkin pie. "It's really just eating vegetables!" they would exclaim gleefully, and were baking several a week to eat alongside breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I'm having my own version of their glee - pumpkin custard?! Eggs, squash/pumpkin, and a little sweetener. Yum! I've made this a few times in the last month or so.

I tend to like a thicker custard, and that seems best accomplished by reducing the amount of coconut milk in the recipe. I also like lots of the pumpkin and some strong spices. The recipe is pretty forgiving though - I mean, whats to go wrong?! In terms of sweetener: You can use 1/2 c honey if you want to go full out, but I usually do a mix of stevia and honey. My version is pretty modestly sweet (I prefer only 16 drops of stevia, but I'm a light weight on the stevia usage). One time I added in a Tablespoon of molasses, which gave it a really rich flavor. I'm listing the stevia/honey blend here, but use whatever you like.

Pumpkin Custard (modified from this "Against All Grain" recipe)
Makes 4-6 servings

1 can pumpkin puree*
3 eggs
2 T honey
16-24 drops liquid stevia
1/4 c coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp lemon zest (opt)
pinch of sea salt

*or 2 cups of your own: I've found that kabocha squash makes a really nice, dense "pumpkin"

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk all of the ingredients in a bowl until a smooth consistency. Pour the filling into ramekins or oven proof bowls, filling not quite full. (I only have 4 ramekins, and so I use a muffin tin for the overflow last cup or so. Not as picturesque, but very practical!)
3. Set ramekins in a cake pan or on a baking sheet, and set carefully in the oven to bake for 20-35 minutes (depending on the size of your ramekins/bowls). They are done when they are "set" - meaning the center is just a bit jiggly, but not sloshy when you shake them. Those are very technical terms.
4. Let cool (really they are better after they cool) and refrigerate for an hour or so.  Serve with a little coconut cream or just as is. 

Note: I did fill this left over (from my quiche crust) mini-crust with some of the pumpkin custard and oh my. It was very delicious, especially with some coconut cream all over the top. I didn't even whip the cream, it was just the thicker stuff that was at the bottom of the coconut milk can. It was very good if you want to go all out for the whole pumpkin pie thing.

1 comment:

  1. I think it does take a lot of orange food to turn the hands and feet orange, all the more reason that is disturbing to discover that it has happened to you- mine grow brighter by the day- especially since I have added sweet potatoes to my diet:)

    ReplyDelete