We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

12.20.2013

Roasted Beets with Honey Balsamic Sauce

Just about the only place I go out to eat these days is the Seward hot bar. Last weekend My Chmaring Companion and I sat at the window seats for 2 hours chattering away over some tasty food and coffee. And then I do my shopping and it all makes for a cozy, convenient, "I know exactly what is in my food" kind of experience. They have been serving these roasted balsamic beets in there for the last couple of months, and I really love them. In part because of the honey and sweetness, I am sure. But I finally got around to making these at home because the local beets are big and gorgeous and why not just have a big batch?!

These were super simple: just roast the beets, and cook down some balsamic vinegar and honey. That is about it. Roasting beets just takes awhile - you want them to get tender, so give them a long time. Mine were really big and I cooked them for almost 2 hours.

Roasted Beets!
2 lbs beets
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
1-2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 450. Cut off the end/greens from your beets, and rub olive oil on the skin. Wrap the beets (together or separately) in tin foil so that they don't dry out. Because my beets were so large, I wrapped them each individually, but if yours are small, create a bit of a package of them all in there. Be sure to put the foil wrapped package on a baking sheet or pan because it is likely to drip a bit of beet juice. Roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until a fork pierced into the beet goes in easily. Set aside to cool.
2. In a small saucepan heat vinegar and honey on low until reduced by about half. Stir in cinnamon and salt.
3. Once beets have cooled, peel off skin and chop into whatever size pieces you like (I like some large bites). Pour balsamic reduction over the top, and sprinkle any additional salt or pepper to taste. It's delicious warm, but nice cold too.

2 comments:

  1. Oh good! I have been making these lately without the honey (to be more sugar free) and I think they are nice that way too. I've also been adding some toasted pecans and a little bit of cayenne. :)

    ReplyDelete