We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.13.2021

Dandelion Wine

Dandelion heads were popping all over the place over the last 10 days, and I was able to harvest a bunch of them on a prime sunny morning. Laborious petal plucking ensued shortly after (you need to de-petal within a quick amount of time because the flower heads start to close up); with the company of friends, it was a splendid spring activity, though I neglected to take any photos. *I did have to freeze the first round and go pick the rest on day 2. Next was soaking the petals in water, straining them out, then adding sugar, raisins, fruit and yeast. The concoction bubbled away in my kitchen all last week, sometimes sounding like a gentle rain storm. It was very active.

One week later and upon the quietening of the fermentation, I strained the mixture into a glass 1 gallon carboy with airlock. There it will sit for 2-3 months before I rack it off into some wine bottles for the final 6-9 month stretch. I am looking forward to trying this wine, and am planning to make a rhubarb one in the coming weeks so that I can have a bit of a "local" wine tasting. Local being my yard, plus some extra dandelions from a neighbor in the buy nothing group and some from the Oromo church down the street. I'd like to find some elderberries to try a wine from those too, despite that getting a little farther away!

You do need some wine making supplies for this recipe, namely wine yeast, a 1 gallon carboy and an airlock, and brewing sanitizer. Some people skip the carboy/airlock and sanitizer, and just pour into clean wine bottles with balloons on top, which means really you just need yeast. Ideally I'd love to make wine with natural yeasts, but to start, I'm adding it in.

I mainly followed this primary recipe, and relied on this secondary one as well. I wanted to make just one gallon for my novice try, though it ended up being about 3 quarts only, in the end. We'll see how that fares. 

Dandelion petals!
My main notes to myself:
  • It was a pain to strain the wine a 2nd time (also more sediment b/c I could not rack it), so I think next time I will follow the secondary instructions, modifying the amounts to = 1 gallon. (Unless mine turns out totally amazing, in which case I will just stick with it!)
  • I will start with more water next time, too much boiled off or got strained out (this may also be a result of double straining and boiling, again I'll go for the secondary instructions next time). When I researched what to do with all the extra space, it seems that it is okay for the early fermentation process as long as there is an airlock. But if it were in a corked bottle, that much surface area would not be good. I am guessing this will get me 3 full bottles, but likely not 4.
  • I did sanitize my carboy and will sanitize bottles/the tubing for racking the wine. I just don't want to risk it, but people do.
  • Other recipes recommend a ratio of 1 gallon dandelion petals for 1 gallon of wine. This is a little less and depending on how it turns out, I want to add more next time.

Fruit peel and dandelion petals simmering in water

Bubbling wine concoction!

No comments:

Post a Comment