We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.19.2021

Nettle chips and Nettle Gamasio

It is prime nettle harvesting time, and I've been out several times in the past week to collect, with great reverence, this amazing plant. I think that nettles might be my favorite foraged food - they are perhaps the one I rely on most throughout the year, and feel profound gratitude for. In addition to all the good vitamins, I just learned that they help with allergies and hay fever. 😍

I primarily harvest nettles to eat as food, because that is my favorite, especially after a long winter without fresh greens. To have abundant nettles (along with my green onions) is such bounty! Last weekend I decided to branch out a little: I made some Nettle Chips (think kale chips, or those seaweed chip things), and I also dehydrated a bunch to use for tea and this Nettle Gomasio (which is genius). It turns out I really like nettles with sesame seeds, which both of these recipes feature. The combo sort of ups the seaweed taste of the nettles, in a good way.

Nettle chips are a little fussy - you have to remove the nettle leafs from each stem (using gloves because they are still stingy), but they ARE delicious.

Nettle Chips, inspired from this post:

  • A few tong-fulls of fresh nettle leaves (picked off the stem) - think a loose 2 cups
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 tsp magic mushroom powder (or use half as much salt)
  • 1-2 T sesame seeds
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees while you de-stem your nettles (using gloves). I rinsed mine and spun them in my lettuce spinner to get the water off.*
  2. Using tongs, toss the nettle leaves in a bowl with the other ingredients. Spread the leaves (using your tongs again) in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. 
  3. Bake for about 6-10 minutes until they crisp up. (The original recipe said to flip half way through. I did that with one pan, and not with the other, and couldn't tell a difference. I was using one of those insulated cookie sheets that prevents burning. If you have a regular cookie sheet, keep a close eye on things.)
  4. Consume! These stay crisp for at least many days in a tupperware sort of container, so no need to eat all at once unless you want to.
*Note I did also try making some of these in the dehydrator while I was dehydrating other nettles, and that also worked, though took longer. No risk of over-crisping there!
 

This was my first time drying nettles in a dehydrator, and it goes pretty quickly, not more than a few hours. Once I got the leaves in the jar, I used my rolling pin end to pulverize them. 7 trays of dried nettles resulted in one quart of dried leaves (for tea), and about 1 1/2 cups of dried nettle powder, some of which went into this Gomasio.

Nettle Gomasio, originally posted here

  • ½ cup raw, unhulled sesame seeds
  • 2 Tbsp. sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp. ground or finely shredded nori, kombu, and/or wakame
  • 1 Tbsp. dried nettle powder
  • ½ Tbsp. dried thyme
  • ½ Tbsp. dried sage
  • ½ Tbsp. dried rosemary
  1. In a cast iron pan, toast sesame seeds and salt on medium heat until a few seeds start to pop.
  2. Turn off the heat and transfer mixture to a mortar, then add seaweed and herbs.
  3. Using a pestle or food processor, grind mixture coarsely, leaving about half the sesame seeds intact.
  4. Store in a sealed glass jar, ideally on your table or counter where you can use as often as desired.
This goes great on just about anything: salad, veggies, rice, eggs, whatever. Yum. I also think this would make a great foodie gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment