We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.16.2021

Grain free biscuits (with scallion eggs and nettles)

Though Ramadan was over on Wednesday, this biscuit breakfast today felt like my first celebratory brunch of indulgence. (I did have celebratory steak dinner, and daily celebration of drinking things and eating during daylight! What glory. But biscuits feel even more special.) I made a half batch because I wanted only fresh biscuits, and of course I ate all three (though only 2 with greens and eggs)! 😊

I initially wanted a recipe for grain-free spinach/cheese/onion biscuits to make with nettles, but came across none. I do think I could try it with this recipe, so that will be on the agenda, because these biscuits were pretty remarkable. I would venture to say they are the most traditional biscuit I've had yet using grain free flour. The recipe creator names her numerous attempts to create a "southern style" biscuit, and I can tell. They really are quite perfect, even with the fact that I could not quite get my egg whites as stiff as I wanted. (I think I needed to whip my egg whites to more of a peak, but my old school-self generated spinning mixer just can't compete with electricity.)

The recipe requires egg whites, no yolks, so I just used the yolks as my scrambled eggs, and added my green onion and cheese to that. (Because I halved the recipe, I used 3 regularly large eggs.) For the greens, I chopped the steamed nettles up finely and then simmered them with a little coconut milk and salt until they were more creamy. The result was just what I wanted: buttery biscuit with soft eggs and greens. Yum!

Grain Free Biscuits (makes 6)

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted grass fed butter
  • 3/4 cup blanched almond flour 
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour 
  • 2 tablespoons golden flax meal 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
  • 5 extra large egg whites about 1/2 cup
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Grate/finely chop your butter in pea sized pieces and place in the freezer.
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Once butter is frozen, mix with dry ingredients, place in freezer.
Beat egg whites until fluffy and stiff enough to spoon. Mix into dry ingredients. 
Use an ice cream scoop to scoop batter, scooping out onto an oiled/parchment covered cookie tray.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Use a thin spatula to remove them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment