We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.17.2021

Jerusalem Artichoke Colcannon

I am writing to post tonight's dinner because it was freaking delicious. Often these days I can't get over how good things taste - is it because I was fasting for so long? Is it because I am eating food I picked just hours (or minutes) before? Is it because it is spring and I am having fresh things from the garden, and not last year's frozen harvest, or something from some far flung warm somewhere? I suspect all of these are true. I just know that I am swooning over here in my open-windowed-wonderland. I mean, nettle jerusalem artichoke colcannon with spring onions!? And asparagus!? To be fair, the salmon was also a treat b/c I don't have it often. But still...even the salad of baby kale (half devoured by some bug) and green onions and last year's sun-dried tomatoes tasted amazing.

I am not going to be bothered with amounts here - I'll say what, you decide how much. Though, the more butter the better, in my opinion. I made two servings worth which was a couple larger handfuls of jerusalem artichokes, a small handful of steamed nettles, 1 large green onion, a good 1-2 T of butter and a hearty splash of heavy cream. (I was inspired to make Colcannon from a Nom Nom Paleo post not all that long ago. So if you really want amounts, check out her recipe.)

Jerusalem Artichoke Colcannon

  • Jerusalem Artichokes, large dice (and/or potatoes, rutabega, turnips, etc)
  • Steamed nettles, chopped
  • Green onion, finely chopped
  • Butter
  • Cream
  • Salt and Pepper
  1. Boil water in a pot and add your diced tubers. Boil until soft, 10-20 minutes depending on size.
  2. While they are cooking, chop nettles and green onion.
  3. When tubers are soft, mash with a fork or potato masher, adding in a good amount of butter and cream, and the nettles and green onion. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment