We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

2.10.2012

Fried zucchini chips

Well...I gotta say - these babies LOOK really good, but I don't know that they were super successful. I saw them on a blog I have been excited about - The Coconut Mama, and was intrigued by the idea of a fried something or other that was made with coconut flour. Alas, these were good immediately out of the oil, but even 5 minutes later they tasted sort of oil soaked and not so delicious. Also they are a tad high maintenance for me, and rather than being really light and flavorful, it seems like they just soaked up the coconut oil and were kind of heavy. I don't know - maybe if my slices were thinner? The ones on her blog look better than mine and were better covered, but I had a hard time managing the dipping and the even spread of flour...? If you try them, maybe you will have better success.


The one highlight of my dinner was that I used portobello mushrooms for "buns" on my sandwich (a very paleo thing to do). I just cut off the stem and the "gills", and sauted each side in a little olive oil for 5 minutes each (do underbelly sides first). And yum! I had a chicken thigh in there with some mayo and lettuce and it was super great, although a little messier because the mushrooms don't really absorb the liquid.


Fried Zucchini Slices
coconut oil, for frying
2 organic eggs, beaten
2 cups zucchini, sliced thin
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon sea salt

Heat coconut oil at low-medium heat in heavy bottom frying pan. Desired temperature is 375 degrees for frying.

Add two eggs to a medium size bowl and lightly beat them.

In a second bowl mix coconut flour, Parmesan cheese and salt together.

Dip zucchini slices into egg mixture and then place them in flour mix. Make sure to coat them well.

Fry the zucchini until golden brown, 3-5 minutes on each side. Place fried zucchini on a paper towel lined plate. Serve immediately. Right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment