We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

2.09.2012

Mole Bean Stew

I found this recipe on Heidi Swanson's website when I was searching for a way to use some dried adzuki beans that I had in the cupboard. Amazingly enough, I also had most of the other ingredients, with a few modifications. I don't have a picture but you should really just follow the link above to go look at the pictures on Heidi's website because they're much more gorgeous than any picture I would have taken. And there are pictures of the beautiful Irish countryside.

I made the following substitutions:
adzuki beans instead of borlotti beans
walnuts instead of almonds
roasted garden tomatoes from the freezer
I also doubled the recipe and did the simmering on the stovetop instead of in the oven because I didn't have an oven-proof pot that was big enough.

The end result was spicy, rich, and very satisfying. I served it with rice, it also would be good with polenta cake or quinoa or ....

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, thanks for this. I have tons of adzuki beans to use up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, Heidi's "food journal" is amazing! this looks SO good.

      Delete