We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.13.2011

Beet Infused Vodka Martini

The inspiration for this post came from two things:
1. I recently had a delicious drink at the Craftsman that included beet infused vodka, lime, and cointreau.
2. I am doing some research about alcohols that are GF (especially because Gin, my fave liquor, is definitely not!)

I discovered that many vodkas (ones made only with potato), all good quality tequilas, and most rums are GF. The folks at Zipps seem very knowledgeable about their GF products - which is helpful because many of the bottles are not labeled. Cointreau, incidentally, is GF.

I came across an excerpt of "Hip Sips" - a cocktail book that includes a beet infused vodka drink. I followed her technique for the infusing. This photo is right after I added the beets - 3 days later the vodka was opaque.

My take on the Craftsman's drink:
Ice cubes for chilling and shaking
3 oz. beet vodka (I used Rain Organics)
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. cointreau
splash of simple syrup*

Fill martini glass with ice and set aside to chill. Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker for 10 seconds. Empty ice from glass. Strain drink into glass and drink immediately!

*Recipe thoughts: I am wondering if I add more cointreau if I could eliminate the simple syrup all together?

I also came across this really delicious looking recipe for beet infused tequila with rosemary infused simple syrup...which I tried (this is an addendum now). Kinda strange. I maybe like my tequila straight up.

2 comments:

  1. ooooh. this totally inspires me to make some infusions. thanks for posting, megan.

    ReplyDelete