We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.21.2011

i am not a vegan. i am not GF. i DO have good taste, which is why erin mckenna is all aces

Hello. I'm the new kid on the WFDM (What's For Dinner Minneapolis) blog-block, so I of course start this first posting off with a mmmmmajor shout out to my fellow food-know-it-alls who have been representing and creating such an inspirational and amazing place on the interwebs. Seriously. Are you new to this site? Bookmark it. Now. And welcome!

Anyhow, as my title indicates: I'm not exclusively vegan. Nor am I exclusively GF. And I say that with as much love as possible for my vegan-y, GF-y brothers and sisters. If it buys me any cred, I will say that I love good food and I love to read/make lists of things to make/eat almost constantly. And that it has everything to do with tastiness, top notch ingredients, and total intention on the part of the cook. It has nothing, per se, to do with whether or not something is vegan or gluten free. I get superdefensive when I hear "It's VEgan? No thanks!" or "Gluten free means it doesn't taste good!" commentary coming from the mouths of folks whom I would otherwise consider to be pretty cool. As far as I'm concerned, they're toats missing out.

So, my vegan and GF friends: I stand with you. I support you. You might say I'm co-opting your dietary preferences and/or values. I might say I'm vegan and/or GF-blind. Either way, I'm doing it with 100% love and respect.

This is what has brought me to the altar of Erin McKenna. A friend introduced me to her genius around the time that I began wondering if my kid wasn't experiencing gluten and dairy intolerance. Suffice it to say that he probably is, but either way he is definitely like any other young tyke in that he wants cupcakes, Rice Krispie squares, and donuts 24/7. After tackling Erin's vegan, GF cookies and cupcakes in her 1st book, I advanced to her donut-making lessons last night. And let me tell you, Friend: the results were spectacular:


Yes. They are as good as they look. If you don't believe me, you have two choices. 1) Come over to my home. Don't forget coffee. 2) Go out and buy Erin's newest cookbook TODAY. In the meantime, here's the recipe:

PLAIN CAKE DONUT (makes 12)
Preheat oven to 325 and brush 2 six-mold donut trays with canola/coconut oil. Set 'em aside.

In a large-ish bowl whisk together:
1 cup vegan sugar/evaporated cane juice
3/4 cup white or brown rice flour
1/2 cup garbanzo AND fava bean flour (no, you can't substitute just garbanzo flour. sorry.)
1/2 cup potato starch (don't tell erin: i used 1/4 cup potato and 1/4 cup tapioca starches.)
1/4 cup arrowroot
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

In another bowl, mix together:
1/3 cup melted refined coconut or canola oil (i used canola here. just sayin.)
6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup vanilla extract (i empower you to use imitation vanilla, but if your diet/preference - for whatever reason - is contrary to this, that's cool.)

Dump wet ingredients into the dry and employ your spatula. Add up to 1/2 cup of hot water, mixing until everything's just combined. You'll have a thickish batter:


This batter goes into your donut mold: 2.5 tablespoons per mold. Use a toothpick/skewer/knife tip to spread the batter evenly around the mold.

Toss 'em in the oven, rotating once at the 8 minute mark OR whenever they seem ready to be flipped.


You'll know: trust me (think: golden edges). Continue baking for another 7 minutes, or until you've reached the dizzying golden-brown doneness you'd expect.

Let cool in molds for a few minutes. Coat with anything you can imagine: cinnamon-sugar, spiked with cardamom. Melted chocolate chips with a shot of coconut oil, orange zest, and almond extract. Powdered sugar. Erin has many, many stellar ideas. Or just leave 'em naked.

Brew coffee or tea. Send any nearby children outside to play. Enjoy.

THANK YOU, Ms. McKenna.
Love,
VMF

3 comments:

  1. V!! My mouth is salivating - I love this post. I am so, so happy you are jumping on the WFDM train. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i am definitely going to check out this cookbook. thanks so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome! I LOVE Erin McKenna--can't wait to get this book!

    ReplyDelete