We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.25.2011

green bean and potato salad.


My mom's husband has to have a potato at every meal. And, let's admit it, I love a potato as much as the next person. So, when I was charged with making a side dish for dinner at my mom's house, I searched the well-loved Smitten Kitchen for something fun and fresh and delicious; to liven up the potato as side dish. I settled on the Arugula, Potato, and Green Bean Salad with Creamy Walnut Dressing, with a few modifications based on what we had on hand. You can link to Smitten Kitchen's post in the title.






Here are the modifications I made:
-I used romaine and baby greens in place of arugula, but next time I will make the effort to get arugula because I think the peppery flavor would be really delicious with the rest of the ingredients.
-I used olive oil and a little bit of truffle oil in place of walnut oil because we didn't have any. someday, I will plan ahead and get all the ingredients for a recipe, but usually I end up having to substitute at least one thing and I've averted disaster so far.

So, that's how I made it. It was easy and delicious and it pleased everyone, including the potato purist who used to hate eating anything green until he started growing his own vegetables. So, I'll call it a success. Smitten Kitchen comes through once again.

2 comments:

  1. smitten kitchen is genius and truffle oil sounds AMAzing! don't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum. i just planted arugula seeds yesterday. i can't wait for all these veggies to appear in the garden, and then in my salad bowl!

    ReplyDelete