We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.12.2011

Lemon Almond Cupcakes - GF

I have been eying this recipe for awhile, and finally got around to testing it out this week. The recipe: Almond and Lemon Cake is from Kitchen Therapy - and is gluten and dairy free. I opted to half the recipe and make cupcakes instead. The almond flour is really delicious (ground up almonds) - and the lemon is nice and spring tasting.


A couple of recipe notes:
1. They turned out a little sweet. I would cut the sugar down next time.
2. I could not bring myself to use all that powdered sugar for a glaze, which isn't necessary, but the extra lemon is nice. Thus my glaze ended up very thin, sort of running over the edges of each cupcake. I wonder if I could replace any sugar with cornstarch??
3. I ground almonds in a coffee mill, but I think a food processor works too.
4. I have never heard of this term "thick-ribbon stage" - but decided it was when the egg/sugar mix became thicker than a thin stream. Ribbons are so relative!?
5. For cupcakes, I reduced the heat to 325 and baked for 15-20 minutes.

1 comment: