We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

4.22.2011

Soba and Fried Tofu Salad

I've been feeling really uninspired to cook lately, and whenever that happens, I buy a new cookbook. So, I picked up Jeanne Lemlin's Simple Vegetarian Pleasures at Magers and Quinn the other day (with credit I'd forgotten I had!)--I'm pretty excited about these truly simple recipes!

She recommends serving this one cold, but since I was hungry and couldn't wait (plus have a thing about temperature), I ate it hot. Probably delicious either way!

1 pound extra-firm tofu
1 T. canola oil
1 T. tamari or shoyu
1 pound soba noodles

Dressing:
3 T. tamari or shoyu
3 T. sesame oil
2 T. brown sugar
1 t. hot chili oil
1 T. rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 t. grated ginger

1 T. sesame seeds
2 large scallions, thinly sliced
4 cups spinach leaves, washed, then stacked and julienned

1. Fry up the tofu however you like. (I cubed mine and cooked it in a bit of oil and the 1 T. shoyu until it was fairly crispy.)
2. In the meantime, cook the soba noodles.
3. Make the dressing!
4. In a large bowl, combine tofu, soba noodles, and the dressing. Top each serving with a big handful of spinach, some sesame seeds, and a few scallions.

So. easy.

(The photo is heavy on the sesame seeds!)

2 comments: