We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

8.29.2011

cucumber town.


So, it was a Saturday afternoon and I was hungry. I had cucumbers, cucumbers and more cucumbers. And some tomatoes too. I turned to Heidi Swanson and said, "Heidi, what should I do with all these cucumbers." She said, "if I were you, I'd make raita and a cucumber lime cooler." So I did. She wasn't actually here but luckily I recently got her cookbook "Super Natural Every Day," so it was pretty much like she was here. So, I made the Cucumber Lime Cooler, which I realized, after making it, that it's basically like the drink that Megan posted earlier. It's delicious. Very refreshing, and also good with a shot of Hendrick's. If you want to make something very healthy just a little unhealthy.



Next, it was time to make the Raita:

1 1/2 small cucumbers, unpeeled, halved, and seeded
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/4 tsp fine-grain sea salt
1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
big pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 cup plain yogurt

Shred the cucumbers using the large holes of a box grater. Squeeze out excess water and put in small bowl.
Put the garlic on the cutting board, sprinkle it with the salt, and work the garlic into a paste by chopping and smashing with a knife. Add this to the cucumber, along with the walnuts, lemon zest, lemon juice and red pepper flakes. Stir until combined, then fold in the yogurt. Set aside for a few minutes to let the flavors meld before serving.

I added a little more yogurt than the recipe called for. And I made pita chips, also from the same cookbook, which were easy and really delicious.

Highly recommended. Thank you, Heidi.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! Love it. And I wish that Heidi Swanson had been with you!

    ReplyDelete