We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

5.03.2021

Roasted Dandelion Root tea

This post comes from a culmination of two things: 1) I've been drinking roasted dandelion root tea that I got at the co-op daily during Ramadan - I love it, it's like a sweet, darker tea similar to chicory root; and 2) I cleared some beds in my community garden plot the past several days, including many dandelions, some with decent sized roots. I brought them home and did a little internet perusing, and voila! I have my own roots for tea. I also nibbled a few - and omg! The roots are delicious. Plus they have lots of inulin, good for gut health, and are good for your liver.

Some internet research revealed that dandelion roots are best in the fall, and early spring before they flower. I will be curious to try roasting some roots this summer to do a taste comparison, and will definitely dig some up this fall since now they are all flowering. I initially roasted some roots just for 30 minutes or so, which left a chewy, edible and sweet root. I could eat those all day. But, for tea, you do a longer roast until the roots become brittle and quite brown. Some people dehydrate the roots, then roast them in a cast iron skillet until brown (similar to coffee bean roasting). I have not tried that yet, but it seems either method works. I used even quite small roots, because that is what I had, but larger ones obviously will produce more with less labor involved.

My roasted roots resulted in a bit milder flavor than the kind I get at the store, but they smell stronger - like vanilla and chocolate. (It was as if I was baking cookies when I was roasting them!) I wonder if fall roots would result in a stronger flavor? I will update then. 

Also, speaking of dandelions, this weekend also included my picking many, many dandelion heads, and then removing all of the yellow petals from the green part in order to make dandelion wine. It is decidedly labor intensive. But a lovely task with some friends. I'll make a post once I'm into some later stages, but won't know how it will all turn out until winter sometime. People speak of dandelion wine like a taste of sunshine in the winter, which is just what all those bright big fat flowers looked like on Saturday!

Roasted Dandelion Roots

1. Pick the largest dandelions that you can find. Dig them out using a special dandelion tool, or lever them up  (if in the garden) with a spading fork. You want to pull them out with the least amount of breaking of the roots, keeping them as intact as possible. 

2. Rinse the roots as best you can to get off the clinging dirt. I did this by first submerging all of my dandelions in a bucket and swishing them around. I then brought them inside and cut the greens from the roots, and then scrubbed the roots with a vegetable scrub brush. 

3. All the websites instruct you to let the roots dry before you roast them. I left mine out for a couple of hours so they were not wet, though not technically dry either. I then roasted them in a 200 degree oven for a couple of hours, until crispy (the snap) and browned. They will smell like vanilla!

4. Crush or break up the roots. I put mine in a jar and then used the end of my rolling pin to crush them up more finely, a la a mortar and pestle, without needing to transfer the contents! 

Tea

Put a heaping spoonful of roots in a tea strainer and pour hot water (no longer boiling) over the top. Steep for 10 minutes. Serve as is, or with cream.

No comments: